Elizabeth Honkonen is an experienced commercial litigator in state and federal trial courts and arbitration, with a portion of her practice devoted to the areas of attorney ethics, professional responsibility, and professional liability defense. She has represented national and local law firms and attorneys against claims of malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, malicious prosecution, misrepresentation, and other claims in connection with their services. She also has worked with attorneys and law firms in a preventative and risk management role, providing advice to help ensure that they comply with all applicable rules. In addition to working with attorneys and law firms, Elizabeth works with other professionals, such as accountants and auditors, who may be sued in connection with their services.
Her experience also includes a broad range of other commercial matters, such as business torts, contract disputes, price-gouging claims, securities fraud cases, shareholder derivative actions, class action defense, federal RICO matters, intellectual property matters, derivative actions, independent investigations, and 28 U.S.C. § 1782 discovery proceedings. Representative clients include luxury goods manufacturers, accounting firms, large retailers, a cruise ship operator, a Ukrainian oligarch, a foreign automobile distributor, an oil drilling company, computer and computer equipment manufacturers, financial services companies, officers of a statewide electric utility company, a cement and concrete company, and a wireless telephone company, among others. With her math and science background, Elizabeth particularly enjoys working on technical and scientific matters.
In addition to her practice as a litigator, Elizabeth also served as a member and chairperson of Grievance Committee 11G of The Florida Bar and has served as a moderator and panelist on discussion panels relating to professional responsibility and lawyer liability issues. She has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and in the South Florida Legal Guide as a Top Lawyer in Professional Liability – Defense and Commercial Litigation.
Born and raised in Miami, Elizabeth earned her Bachelor of Science degree from Georgetown University, where she majored in Mathematics, and her Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, from the University of Miami School of Law, where she was managing editor of the University of Miami Law Review. Elizabeth was President of the University of Miami Law Alumni Association and continues to serve the LAA as Co-Chair of the annual Homecoming Golf Tournament.
- University of Miami, J.D., summa cum laude, 1998
- Managing Editor, University of Miami Law Review, 1997–1998
- Georgetown University, B.S., 1992 (Major in Mathematics)
- Best Lawyers in America, 2020 – Present
- Commercial Litigation
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers, Professional Liability – Defense, Commercial Litigation, 2010 – present
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Up and Comers, 2004 – 2009
- Thomas Davison, III Memorial Service Award, presented by the University of Miami Law Alumni Association, 2013
- Florida, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2000
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2006
- The Florida Bar
- Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- The American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter
- August 20, 2020 – 15 Kenny Nachwalter Attorneys Recognized In The Best Lawyers In America© 2021, Two Selected “Lawyer Of The Year”
- November 7, 2019 – Kenny Nachwalter Supports University of Miami’s 10th Annual Law Alumni Homecoming Golf Tournament
- August 15, 2019 – 12 Kenny Nachwalter Attorneys Recognized in the Best Lawyers in America© 2020 and 1 Selected “Lawyer of the Year”
- March 1, 2019 – South Florida Legal Guide Recognizes Kenny Nachwalter as a “Top Law Firm” and 6 Attorneys as “Top Lawyers” in the 2019 South Florida Legal Guide
- January 15, 2018 – South Florida Legal Guide Recognizes Kenny Nachwalter As A “Top Law Firm” And 6 Attorneys As “Top Lawyers” In The 2018 South Florida Legal Guide
- January 9, 2017 – Kenny Nachwalter, P.A. Recognized as a Top Law Firm and 7 Attorneys as Top Lawyers in the 2017 South Florida Legal Guide