- Areas of practice
- Awards & Honors
- Admitted to practice
- Professional memberships
Rick has over 40 years of experience litigating complex commercial cases of all types in state and federal court, as well as in arbitration. He has represented a host of clients in bet-the-company litigation involving common law and statutory business torts, contract disputes, state and federal securities law violations, shareholder derivative claims, class actions, director and officer liability, lender liability, partnership issues, real estate issues, employment matters, RICO, and independent investigations.
He considers it a privilege that he also has been asked to defend many national and local law firms and attorneys in connection with malpractice claims, conflicts issues, and related claims, and to advise attorneys and law firms in a preventative and risk management capacity to help ensure that they comply with all applicable rules. Rick also frequently works with other professionals against whom allegations have been made in connection with their services.
In addition to his practice as a litigator, Rick is often asked to serve as an arbitrator in complex commercial matters and to serve as an expert on attorneys’ fees issues. He also has spoken at numerous conferences on lawyer liability issues and served on multiple grievance committees of The Florida Bar.
Rick is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow of the International Society of Barristers, and a member of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, the American Bar Association, Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, and the Dade County Bar Association. He is ranked by Chambers USA in Band 1 of Litigation: General Commercial, listed in The Best Lawyers in America, in Florida Trend’s Hall of Fame and Florida Legal Elite, in Florida Super Lawyers as a Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney, in Corporate Counsel as a Top Lawyer for Bet-the-Company Litigation, and in the South Florida Legal Guide as a Top Lawyer for Professional Liability – Defense and Corporate and Business Litigation.
He has been admitted to The Florida Bar and the following courts: The United States Supreme Court; the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits; the United States Tax Court; and the United States District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida, the Eastern District of Louisiana, and the District of Connecticut.
Rick was born in Pittsburgh and raised in both Pittsburgh and England. He earned his Bachelor of Arts, with distinction, from Union College in Schenectady, New York, and his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of Miami School of Law.
- University of Miami, J.D., cum laude, 1973
- Union University, B.A., 1969
- Chambers USA, Band 1, Business Litigation, 2004 – present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2018 Miami Legal Malpractice Law – Defendants “Lawyer of the Year”
- Best Lawyers in America, 1995 – present
- Bet The Company
- Commercial Litigation
- Legal Malpractice Law – Defendants
- Litigation – Securities
- Florida Super Lawyers, Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney, 2007 – present
- Florida Trend, Hall of Fame and Florida Legal Elite
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyer, Professional Liability – Defense, Corporate and Business Litigation, 2002 – present
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, General Commercial, Professional Liability, and Securities
- AV®Preeminent™ Peer Review RatedSM by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Florida, 1973
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits, 1973
- U.S. Tax Court, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Florida, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 1982
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1982
- The Florida Bar
- Business Law Section
- International Law Section
- Trial Lawyers Section
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Vice Chairman, TIPS Section of Professional Liability, 1983–1985
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers
- April 23, 2018 – Richard H. Critchlow and Deborah S. Corbishley Speak at Legal Malpractice & Professional Liability Roundtable Presented by MIAMILAW
- January 15, 2018 – South Florida Legal Guide Recognizes Kenny Nachwalter As A “Top Law Firm” And 6 Attorneys As “Top Lawyers” In The 2018 South Florida Legal Guide
- January 9, 2017 – Kenny Nachwalter, P.A. Recognized as a Top Law Firm and 7 Attorneys as Top Lawyers in the 2017 South Florida Legal Guide