RICHARD H. CRITCHLOW AND DEBORAH S. CORBISHLEY SPEAK AT LEGAL MALPRACTICE & PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY ROUNDTABLE PRESENTED BY MIAMILAW
April 23, 2018 – Shareholders Richard H. Critchlow and Deborah S. Corbishley were featured speakers at the Legal Malpractice & Professional Liability Roundtable presented by the University of Miami School of Law, Center for Ethics and Public Service (CEPS).
Legal Malpractice & Professional Liablity Roundtable “From Hello to Goodbye”
May 17, 2018
Newman Alumni Center
6200 San Amaro Drive
Coral Gables, FL 33146
Welcome Breakfast 8:00 a.m.
Program 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
The Third Annual Legal Malpractice and Professional Liability Roundtable, hosted by the University of Miami Law School’s Center for Ethics and Public Service, Colson Hicks Eidson, Kenny Nachwalter, Hill Ward Henderson, and Klein Glasser Park & Lowe, focused on contemporary challenges in the practice of law and strategies for avoiding legal malpractice and professional liability. The panelists included plaintiff and defense counsel, expert witnesses, judges, and Florida Bar ethics counsel. Panelists will identify professional liability issues and offer practical strategies designed to avoid or mitigate liability exposure, especially in forming the client-lawyer relationship, negotiating the scope of representation, structuring internal law firm supervisory measures, and terminating or withdrawing from representation.
- Introduction: Attorneys Are Consistently Wrong About Why Other Attorneys Are Sued
- The Rules that Govern These Issues: The Complex Relationship Between Bar Rules and Civil Law
- Formation of the Attorney-Client Relationship
- Scope of the Attorney-Client relationship
- Identifying Intake Danger Zones
- Reasons for Discharge, Withdrawal, or Termination
- Impact of Termination on Attorney and Client Rights
- Anthony V. Alfieri – University of Miami School of Law
- Deborah S. Corbishley – Kenny Nachwalter – Miami
- Mark Criser – Hill, Ward & Henderson, PA – Tampa
- Richard H. Critchlow – Kenny Nachwalter – Miami
- Lindsey Lazopoulos Friedman – Colson Hicks Eidson – Coral Gables
- David Keller – Keller Landsberg, PA – Ft. Lauderdale
- Rob Klein – Klein Glasser Park & Lowe, PL – Miami
- Pamela Perry– Pamela I. Perry, PA – Coral Gables
- Judge Thomas Rebull – 11th Judicial District of Florida
- Patrick Russell – Florida Bar – Miami
- Mark Sullivan – Klein Glasser Park & Lowe, PL – Miami
- Susan Tarbe – Greenberg Traurig – Miami
Approved for CLE: 3.0 general CLE credits, 1.5 CLE ethics credits, and 1.0 technology credits from The Florida Bar.